Monday 23 December 2013

Some personal memories of Professor Sir John Cornforth


I was deeply saddened to hear the news of the passing of a former colleague, Sir John Cornforth at 96. I first met, Sir John, known to all as Kappa in 1993 when I joined the faculty at the School of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences in Sussex. I thought I had seen the "great man" in a lab coat in the audience at my job interview, but not had a chance to meet him. And luckily he had not asked one of those deceptively simple questions!

However on one of several visits to organise the move of my lab, I met Kappa, in a lab coat standing beside a rotary evaporator with a large flask evaporating an impressive volume of solvent, from a column. He was working on his latest project. Although because he was deaf, communication was not straightforward - it was certainly worth it. Kappa was deeply insightful and very amusing. "Ah Professor Cornforth" I introduced myself " I also work in the lab" - I said proudly …he gave that characteristic smile and laugh and retorted "I play in the lab"…...

I did not get to know Kappa as well as many others, but we were colleagues over the ten years I was at Sussex. I recall him telling the story of his nickname. When working in labs, there is a tendency for glassware to go missing - in order to keep his, Kappa etched the greek letter …and so the name stuck..I never thought to ask whether it helped with retention of the glassware..

I also remember his enthusiasm for spending time with graduate students - allegedly playing tennis with them well into his 80's…I do recall an extraordinary set of lectures given in the upstairs  (MOLS) tea room - to the organic graduate students and staff. He covered a variety of material on stereochemistry and biosynthesis - for which he was awarded the Nobel prize in 1975 - sharing it with Prelog. But the talks were not self aggrandizing - quite the opposite - they showed his humility and enthusiasm for the subject. For anyone who had a chance to see those lectures, probably about 40 students and half a dozen young faculty members - it was a treat...I wished we'd had smartphones then…

I also remember Kappa's  great humour, especially his love of limericks - and his delight at recalling them at the dinner table - especially in the presence of visiting speakers....Kappa was also very generous. A keen walker on the Southdowns, he used to collect local fruit - and many of us would be recipients of great bags of quinces and other local delights… 

One of the proudest moments of my early academic career was a discussion on a stairwell one morning. I'd just had a paper published in Chemical Communications on radical cyclizations and Kappa and I bumped into one another. He mentioned the paper and after a few complimentary comments from him about the work he asked, smiling  "but where did the bromine go?" We went on to have a ten minute discussion about the mechanism I'd proposed - which was incomplete (and probably wrong)…The point was, Kappa had read and really thought about the work…As a young researcher that was quite something…

When Harry Kroto, was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1996, there was a wonderful moment by the pond where the whole school came together and Harry and Kappa shook hands…Harry was a great fan of Kappa - and fortuitously for us, created some films through the Vega Trust - so even though this was before the smart phone era - you can still see Kappa talking about his work. Go take a look!

Kappa Cornforth was a great scientist, intellect and enthusiast. A pioneer of enzyme mechanism, stereochemistry and much more - a true giant of modern organic chemistry. He will be much missed by friends, family and colleagues. 

It was a pleasure and privilege to have known him.

Material progress on Drug Resistant Infections

The  O’Neill Review  on AntiMicrobial Resistance has led to new initiatives on the development of new diagnostics and drugs along with ...